Getting Started for Users¶
Users are people who use the Digital Archive for research or just for fun. They can see all public items in a Digital Archive collection, but have no access to non-public items or private fields. A user cannot edit or add items unless they log in as an Archivist or Administrator.
To get started using the Digital Archive as a user:
- Find out what you can do with the Digital Archive by reading the sections below
- Learn to use specific features by clicking the Learn how link in any section below
What a user can do with the Digital Archive:
- Search one collection or many
You can search any or all collections in three different ways:
- Type keywords into the search box
- Click topics of interest in the Refine Your Search panel
- Use the Advanced Search page
- View search results in different ways
You can view your search results in four different ways:
- Table view with rows showing thumbnails and metadata
- Table view with compact rows showing sortable columns of metadata
- Grid view showing only images and titles
- Index view (like the index in the back of a book)
- Flag items to view later
You can mark items that you want to view later so that you can quickly find them again without doing a new search. Just click the little flag icon beside the item number.
- Share search results with other people
You can share your search results with a friend or colleague by sending them a link. When the recipient clicks the link, they'll see the results exactly the same way as you are viewing them.
- Create a PDF report that you can print
You can save search results as a PDF document to print or email to someone.
- Use the Digital Notebook to save and organize what you find
You can save and organize items that you find to the digital notebook. You can share your notebook with others online.
Not all of the features above are enabled in all Digital Archive installations. Which features are available depends on which Digital Archive plugins are installed.